In this Twitter space, host [Chef Goose]( & co-host [Nacci]( speaks with [Blue]( Marketing & Community Lead of [Trader Joe]( to talk about the Web3 marketing environment, getting jobs in the space, Trader Joe’s success, & more.
Read our notes below to learn more
* Studied a business management course that focused on marketing & human resources.
* Worked for an asset manager in London for 10 years as a marketing analyst.
* Joined the Trader Joe team in August of last year.
* One of the first hires to take the lead of marketing & community efforts for Trader Joe.
* Worked on hiring people when Joe-pegs launched.
**Thoughts on Web3 marketing environment**
* Posting on Twitter is pretty much what Web3 marketing is at this point.
* No real development & lack of marketing tech stack in Web3.
* Very limited automation w/ community stuff.
* No programmatic activity.
* No real fun or ability to go to the mass market.
* Community building in Discord as one of the fundamental tools.
* Main tool for Web3 marketing is word of mouth, be it organically driven, paid or incentivized by referral programs.
* Most of the influencers are paid shills that bring no value.
* Marketing in Web2 has a complete tech stack that gives you the ability to view a complete funnel & attribution for actual kind of tracking that you don’t see in Web3.
* Most of the people come from a diverse & huge variety of backgrounds.
* The whole industry builds up around hype unlike sales activation tactics.
* If you’re about to launch a product, you want maximum hype & attention.
**How to get a job in Web3**
* Join different discord communities.
* Participate in bounty programs.
* People need to show passion & drive to be a part of a team.
**Thoughts on Trader Joe’s approach on DeFi**
* Trader Joe came into space by shit talking about some projects.
* Marketing comms positioning themselves against competitors is a fundamental part of marketing.
* Being brave & bold can be beneficial in a crowded market.
* Positioning w/ marketing to grow mindshare.
* Everything is in-sync together to create a positive flywheel which leads to growth.
* Using emissions tactically & strategically to accrue the right TVL or liquidity that facilitates the larger trading volumes.
* Using brand & marketing correctly.
* Backing claims w/ product.
* Avoiding brand dilution.
**History of Trader Joe**
* First major protocol for deployment was Banker Joe.
* [Tractor Joe]( was an extended brand that wanted to burn $JOE tokens & was not officially delivered nor developed by Trader Joe.
**Thoughts on Banker Joe**
* Had thoughts on doing Banker Joe v2 utilizing leveraged trading.
* Not currently working on Banker Joe & main focus is liquidity book.
**Thoughts on marketing mistakes of previous launches**
* Started the announcements & marketing slightly earlier.
* There was a significant delay due to auditing.
* Ideal playbook for marketing in crypto is no longer than 1 month out.
* Should have started a community creator program incentivizing content creation within the community.
* Not carrying forward programs that incentivize.
**Thoughts on Wonderland saga**
* It was difficult & the pressure was intense.
* Sentiment was really aggressive.
* Wonderland was just throwing back & forth volume in Trader Joe’s DEX to prove a point that they should have more rewards at that time.
* Daniel Cester woke up one day & just tweeted a bunch of stuff.
**Thoughts on liquidity book launch marketing**
* A product that is fundamentally more on the institutional side of things.
* It is not a retail focused product.
* Approach on marketing was the same way.
* All published content needs to hit different types of segments for everyone to get excited.
* Most important are super simple & clear taglines & value propositions.
**Thoughts on Avalanche’s approach to marketing & business development**
* There’s a lot of fragmentation around data & user metrics that doesn’t help & compounding an issue.
* Very limited user inflow to this chain.
* Joe-pegs is trying to create as much noise as possible to bring new users.
* Changing the strategy of growth marketing.
* Questing platforms have almost no [Avalanche]( projects that are actively using them.
* User inflow is not good.
* Needs a new strategy on bringing people in.
* [Ava Labs]( needs to attack the funnel in their own way.
**Thoughts on biggest marketing or self branding mistakes**
* Pressing the GIF button & rolling out a generic GIF.
* Make sure your communications have strong brand affinity like when you’re putting out graphics or GIFs.
* Web3 branding is very powerful.
* It’s all about connecting people & amplifying through people.
**Thoughts on dealing w/ the infighting**
* Doesn’t have a lot of time to put effort into personal usage of social platforms.
* Staying true to Trader Joe’s values of DeFi accessibility & growing the Avalanche ecosystem collectively & inner in a coherent way for all who are involved.
* Not seeing any value of throwing shade & bad vibes.
**Things to look forward to**
* Will probably be shipping an actual storefront w/ hoodies in Q1 next year.
***Q: What are the projects, aside from Trader Joe, on your radar when you were looking for a Web3 job?***
* Literally anything.
* I just want to add value to any projects that want to involve me.
***Q: Who are the folks you follow on Twitter that you think have a really solid Twitter game?***
* I like people that are quiet & distinct in what they offer.
* The most important way to stand out & start to be perceived by adding value is by honing in on your personal kind of content strategy of what you’re doing.
* GC’s account does a lot of deep thinking.
* Cinnamon has a good analytical view of stuff.
* [Coop]( has a great ability to analyze a variety of factors in this industry.
* Curveball stays true to their brand.
***Q: How did you find out about questing?***
* I found out about questing through Layer 3 using Google Analytics.
* I’m tapping into good platforms that offer good user experience.
Check out these important links:
* [Follow Revelo Intel for more notes like this](
* [Listen to the original Twitter space](
* [Follow Chef Goose on Twitter](
* [Follow Nacci on Twitter](
* [Follow Trader Joe on Twitter](