**TL;DR: There are much better alternatives for everything that CRO/CDC offers (see points below).**
This post will probably get downvoted and buried to hell because I know there are a LOT of CRO holders here, but people will want to understand these points, add a dash of skepticism to things they read on public forums, and critically assess their investments and competition of those investments.
First off, I will give credit where credit is due:
1. They own the greatest domain.
2. They have been KILLING it with their marketing. (Could their massive budget also be used to pay online shills?)
However, neither of these things, guarantee that CRO will be a great investment.
In fact, I will argue that it is actually NOT a great investment because there are much better options for everything that CRO/CDC offers.
1. CRO Argument: **3% back on spending with locking up $4,000 worth of CRO for 6 months.**
* Better Alternative: **Coinbase debit card 4% back on spending with $0 lock up.** Obviously superior, period, end of discussion.
2. CRO Argument: Yeah, but… **10% staking reward for 6 month lock-up on Jade/Indigo card+ and Netflix/Spotify reimbursement.**
* Better Alternatives: If you actually want to hold CRO, you can get up to **60% APR on [the CRO/OSMO LP on Osmosis] ( with only 14-day lock-up AND rewards paid during unbonding.**
* The added rewards will MORE than cover the cost of Netflix/Spotify.
* Some better rewards on other coins:
Coin | APR | Lock-up
ATOM | 14% | 21 days
OSMO | 81% | 14 days
JUNO | 112% | 28 days
SCRT | 24% | 21 days
UST | 19.5% | 0 days
3. CRO Argument: Yeah, but… you could get **higher earn rates on other coins.**
* Better Alternative: Sure, you may get slightly higher rates, but **you have to lock-up your coins for 3 months and stake $4,000 in CRO** (both have opportunity costs and many people undervalue how much sacrificing liquidity could cost you when better opportunities arise).
* I’d much rather lend my BTC, ETH, etc. on **platforms with good returns and ZERO lock-up time and ZERO other coin stake** – like FTX app, Celsius, and Ledn.
* BTC Earn Rates:
* CDC: 6.5% with 3 month lock-up and $4,000 CRO stake. Stake less CRO or only 1 month lock-up and rate drops to 4.5%.
* FTX App: 8% with 0 lock-up or other coin stake (up to $10k BTC)
* Ledn: 6.25% with 0 lock-up or other coin stake (up to 0.5 BTC)
* Celsius: 6.20% with 0 lock-up or other coin stake (up to 0.25 BTC)
4. The exchange itself – **Crypto.com trade fees* are ATROCIOUS** compared to some alternatives. CDC Exchange isn’t even available to the US yet. US has to use the Crypto.com App, which the fees are even worse.
Exchange | Trade Fee | Discount
CDC | 0.4% | 0.36% with staking 5000+ CRO
Binance (.com and .us) | 0.1% | 0.075% with ANY BNB
Kucoin | 0.1% | 0.08% with ANY KCS
FTX.com | 0.02-0.07% | 3%+ with $100+ FTT
FTX.us | 0.1%-0.4% | None
Kraken | 0.16%-0.26% | None
Gemini | 0.25-0.35% | None
*Level 1 trade fees as of date of this post.
All in all, CDC is a decent platform and does a lot of good by spreading awareness about crypto, but, for the reasons above, I don’t believe it do be a great platform, nor CRO to be a great investment.
EDIT: LOL at some of these comments.
“You’re just a Coinbase shill!”
“You’re just an Osmosis shill!”
“I made money with CRO so you’re wrong!”
“You want me to use 20 different platforms?!” — Uh no, I’m just giving examples.
Look… for those saying “I’m willing to give up some yield and pay higher trade fees for the convenience of one app” that is totally a totally FAIR statement and I’m happy that it works for you.
The point I’m making is not against you.
My point is against the countless threads and comments hyping up CRO as some god-tier coin that is the best and most undervalued investment on earth and going to make all the holders millionaires.
You’re all acting like I said CDC is total garbage and sucks. Go re-read — I said it’s a decent platform with excellent marketing and does good spreading awareness… but there are better options for trading and earning yield.
“4% Coinbase card isn’t available in my country” — Another fair statement, but you’re missing my point. Again, I’m not saying CDC is bad, just that it’s not the best thing in the world. Obviously I don’t know every credit card that’s offered in every single country, but even outside of crypto cards there are credit cards that offer 3-5% cash back/travel points and sign up bonuses worth $500-1,000 (see r/churning). If that’s not available in your country, then cool, get the CDC card!